Pneumonia and starting haart with a TB precaustion???

I have a friend with streptococcu pneumonia he has been in the hospital for 2 weeks and was also newly diagnosed with AIDS. The doctors are also treating him as a TB precaution even though all the test he had so far were negative of TB. But I recenly heard that there may be some slight strains of mycobacterium in his body. While he went into the hospital his pnuemonia improved but 4 days later the doctors said it got worst. The doctors had only been treating him for pneumonia & also for TB precaution. My question is why havent doctors started him on HAART treatment for his aids? His cd4 count was 0 so its really hard for his body to fight off the pneumonia. I understand that sometimes theres risk in starting HAART along with TB meds because of some drug mixtures I believe. If my friend does not have TB arent these doctors risking his life not starting him on HAART after 2 weeks in the hospital? He is at a community hospital in Chicago Weiss Memorial hospital... I am thinking that we may need to have him transferred to a better hospital such as Rush or Northwestern with doctors more experienced in hiv & aids. What do you think? And about his life expectancy if he can recover? He is 26 years old.

It is difficult to determine the specific reason in this case why HIV treatment would not be started. You are correct, in that HIV treatment and the subsequent increase in CD4 count and overall improvement in immune system status would contribute greatly to his recovery.

What is best indicator of hiv progression cd4 or cd4 %
Viral Load and CD4 Testing