Rise of cd4 Count

Hey Doc,

I started on medication about 18 months ago. When I started I had a VL level of 21000 and a cd 4 of 20.

I started on Atripla but after a year switched because the dreams just did not go away. Unlike others I did not like being the star of an action movie every night. I am now on Truvada and Isentress which still provides weird dreams but they are not nearly as intense.

On my last set of labs my cd4 was up to 365.

My question here is... Since my cd4 was so low when i started and it has risen so high in comparison.. Is my immune system in the same condition that another person who has the same cd4 count would be in? Or since it was so low at one time is there irreparable damage that has been done?

Thank You

Great question. You have likely lost some aspect of immune function, despite the recovery of CD4 cells. Although the absolute count is important, the quality of cells and the ability to recognize and contain various kinds of infections may not be the same between some with a recovered count of 365 and someone who has a normal count of 365.

White cell count decrease
CD4 count up but CD4/CD8% all over the place