Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can ARV's cause a rapid HIV test to read negative?
Dec 6, 2009

Hi Doc, I have been on ARV's for the past 6 years and my CD4 count has been between 700-830. I have not done a viral load test for they are very expensive in Kenya. I have been doing random HIV testing and they have all shown positive but 5 days ago I took a rapid test and it showed negative and I checked the date on the kit and it was valid and the lab technologist followed the procedure. So, can it be that am now negative or is it just an error?What are the chances of a test showing a false negative?Kindly respond so that even as I go for a confirmatory test I will do so with some information and not be so excited that am now ok then get dissapointed. Thanks a heap Doc

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I have no explanation for why the test would be negative, but more importantly, why are you continuing to get HIV antibody tests when you are already HIV positive and receiving HIV treatment?

Previous
hep c enlarged spleen
Next
Lab results question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.