Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow-up to Hypothetical Question
Nov 22, 2009

I was reading a question someone asked of you about HIV meds causing viral load to be undetectable and the possibility of HIV being totally eradicated.

My Question: Is everyone the same when it comes to HIV? I mean when HIV is reduced to undectectable, the virus gets into cells, organs, etc in everyone and that is why it is never eradicated? This happens every time in everyone?

I guess we would have heard if someone was somehow different and the virus was eradicated. However, I was recently talking with a friend about the gay couple who were able to foster-parent an HIV young child in Florida. Evidently, the boy's virus was eradicated with meds. Because he was no longer poz, they wanted to take the boy away from the gay couple to put up for adoption.

Do I have this story right? I knew HIV could be eradicated in the womb, but not after the child was born.

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes, everybody who is infected, has the virus in most all organs. I had not heard of the Florida eradication story.

Previous
Finally showing some improvement
Next
THRUSH TREATMENT and LAMICIL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.