The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hypothetical question

Nov 14, 2009

since the commonly used ways to detect hiv is antibodies, my question is this.

assuming a person is cured of hiv by some fluke or remission, or say miracle of modern long will the antibodies remain in the body so that hiv tests will no longer mark the person as positive.

as most of the effective haart med are still new and the long term implications of these new meds are still unknown as to the success of "possibly" eradicating the body after a prolonged presence in the human body in conjunction with the body's natutal defenses.

as we know, there have been numerous people who have had undetectable VL for years when put on the new meds, and many more will go on newer meds, as well as the few who have the ccr5 mutation, but still test positive.

this is why i post the question of when does the hiv antibodies disappear from the body if by chance someone gets miraculously cured?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Current HIV treatment does not eradicate the latent form of HIV, which is integrated in a person's DNA. An undetectable viral load will not cause someone to now have a negative HIV antibody test. Thus, it is difficult to answer your question unless we have evidence that all the cells with integrated HIV were destroyed or removed such that no imprint of the virus were left in the entire body.

few more qestions: neurosyphilis or tertiary syphilis and testing
Dropping CD4%

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint