Nov 14, 2009
I am 60 years old man diagnosed to have hepatitis c. i got 54 injections of interferon . the PCR turned negative . after six months of stoppage of interferon it turned positive again . i got another 20 injections of inteferon but the PCR results was positive . it was 2128 IU/ml. what does this result means? and what is the degree of viremia ? is it mild or moderate or severe? thank you
Response from Dr. Holodniy
It likely means that treatment was not completely 100% effective. You don't indicate if you were also receiving oral ribavirin while receiving the interferon injections. That viral load is quite low, but a full sustained viral response (SVR) should result in your viral load being undetectable.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Color Are Genital Herpes Lesions?
- What Can Cause Blisters On Vagina Besides Herpes?
- What Are The Odds Of Contracting Genital Herpes After Sleeping With Someone Who Has It But Not An Outbreak?
- Time Frame After Contracting Herpes Before It Shows Up On An Std Test
- Things That Look Like Herpes But Are Not
- Is There A Test For Herpes At Home?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.