CD4 stable is drug resistance

Dear Dr, I would like to continue with the discussion below.If his resistance to 2nd line drug regime, is there any drug available for him? Any drugs that you recommend for his case?Do you think he will die soon because of no drug availibility?

I hope you will help with this.

CD 4 stable is drug resistance? Oct 18, 2009

Dear Dr,

My friend is on the second line drug regime(PI) for about 1 year. When he changed from first drug regime to second durg regim, his CD4 was 50. And after six months on PI, his CD4 was increasing to 384 but after another 6 months, his CD4 is falling down from 384 to 246.After another three months, his CD4 is only 248. Why his CD4 increase only 2 for three months?is it because of drug resistance? or treatment failure of second line drug regime? How can we help him to live longer if he fails for second line?

Your answers are very helpful to save life for my friend

Advertisement Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what the HIV viral load or CD4 percent is doing during this time. If the viral load remains undetectable and the CD4% remains about the same, then I am not concerned. If however, the viral load is detectable and the CD4% has declined, and he is taking the meds as prescribed, then yes, HIV drug resistance and failure of this new regimen might be a possibility.

Unless I have the additional information I requested, it is difficult to determine what is going on. In general, it depends on what the HIV resistance test shows regarding how many drugs or classes of drugs the virus is resistant to. Although it gets more difficult with successive regimens, it is still possible after a third line regimen to achieve an undetectable viral load, provided the HIV drugs are active.

viral load blip
Understanding my first meds