Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tracking Exposure
Oct 10, 2009

I tested negative for HIV and all other STDs on March 08, May 08, Sep 08, and late-Feb 09. However, in mid-February 2009, I had flu-like symptoms and had one high-risk sexual experience with another male partner (unprotected oral sex, unprotected anal sex as inserter -- albeit precum, no other bodily fluids were exchanged). In late-July, I was negative for all STDs but diagnosed HIV+ CD4 147 at 12%, VL 40803, non-resistant genotype. Between March - July, I had no illnesses, colds, or flu-like symptoms. Although, I had two other sexual male partners between March and July (unprotected oral sex, guy in April tested negative, have not notified guy in May), how likely is that I was infected in January 2009--although earlier partner tells me he is HIV negative but tested positive for gonorrhia, considering I had no at-risk behavior between September 2008 and prior to the start of our relationship in December 2008? Also, would I be considered a rapid HIV progressor, although I started Viramune/Tripula in early-August and in early-Sept had CD4 of 380 at 22% and VL at 207?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Well, given your negative HIV test history, and symptoms at that time, it is possible. That is a pretty rapid decline for only a few months of infection. The good news is that your response to HIV treatment has been terrific and taken you out of AIDS category. I suspect your numbers will continue to increase once your viral load becomes undetectable.

Previous
I love my liver, what can I do to help it.
Next
Low CD4 High Viral Load and 2 OIs in 6 months

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.