Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Newly Diagnosed and confused with counts.
Oct 10, 2009

63 yr old male suffered heart attack in January 2009, became very ill early July and diagnosed HIV+ in early August. Late August after severe pain diagnosed with a perforated colon and had major surgery leaving me with a colostomy to be reversed in the coming months. I am still extremely tired for the most part and do not know if this is due to the surgery or HIV. Initial Viral Load count was 28,800 and CD4 at 542. I was told both of these counts were in relatively good range, but am to unknowledgeable to question. Though waited till 3 weeks after receiving the colostomy, doctors felt HIV treatment could be started. The doctor said I could wait, but why not get started early. I will get new counts in next couple of weeks. No one mentioned any CD4 percent figure and will ask. But, what do the origin numbers noted above reflect. Are they good or bad? After 6 weeks of HIV med's what would be acceptable changes in the viral load and CD4 counts. I am totally confused and just now trying to read up, but I would like to be prepared when I hear the counts from my next blood work. What does "copies" mean that I see in many inquiries by people sending in questions?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The original numbers are relatively good. Your CD4 count is in the normal range (500-1500) and your viral load is in the low-moderate range. HIV treatment is not necessarily required at this point. Some experts might argue that given your age, starting earlier would better help preserve your immune system. Although we know that our immune system declines with age (regardless of HIV infection), whether starting sooner in someone like you provides an advantage, is not known. The viral load is expressed as copies per milliliter of blood. This tells you how many copies of virus there per unit volume of blood.

Previous
Blips on the radar
Next
wanting to know

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.