Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Granulocyte/Lymph percentage??????
Sep 27, 2009

I have been positive almost 25 years, 41 yo male. I take Norvir, Reyataz and Truvada along with other meds. I saw my ID Dr today and came home with a copy of my blood results (which I always do) and was looking at the non-hiv stuff. On 8-11, my Granulocyte percentage was 44.1, well WNL. Lymph percentage was slightly high at 47.7. CD4 560/25%/VL 52. The tests were repeated along with others on 9-10, app one month later. My Glanulocyte percentage went up to 77.5 and lymph percentage fell to 16.8, both out of normal range in one month with my CD4 falling to 409/22%/VL 126. I take my meds religiously and have never missed a dose.

I looked on the internet and saw that this might be a sign of TB or some sort of infection. My ID Dr did not address this AT ALL. I only noticed them when I came home from my visit. I called my GP and she said that she didn't think a TB test was in order and that my immune system was compromised from HIV, blah, blah , blah. Having had it for 25 years, I understand all that. I visited a friend a couple of weeks ago out of town who is HIV+ who lives with their father who has COPD. I stayed at their house for two days. I have felt tired and run down ever since. It even has seemed to have affected my ability to maintain an erection with seemingly no other factors. I will see my GP tommorrow (after I called and called) to discuss these test results and what they could mean.

I would like to know your input on these test results. Oh, my WBC which has always hovered kind of low for years at around 4-5 also went up in this same month to 10.9, just .1 from being high out of range. I am not running a fever, no productive cough, just tired and feeling worn down. I welcome your input and I thank you in advance for your help with this and all you do.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

An elevated granulocyte count is a very nonspecific finding and could indicate some kind of infection, or many other medical conditions, although TB wouldn't be necessarily be in my top 5 without other kinds of signs and symptoms. Additionally, I never make much of an isolated change in lab values like this, particularly if things have been consistently in the normal range for a while, and there are not findings to suggest a work-up is in order. So, I don't usually repeat the lab tests unless I concerned about something (other labs out of whack or physical findings, etc).

Previous
what does my results of my titer for HEB B mean?
Next
about hiv patients

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.