Newly Diagnosed

Me and my partner were diagnosed as HIV+ last week and had our first test results today. We worked out that it was him who infected me.

The lab have not yet received our viral loads, however my CD4 count is 240 which is very low and my partners is 780 which is very good. Why is it that our cd4 counts are so different?

I'm very worried that I will have to start meds straight away, but I'm wondering if there is a way in which I can increase this CD4 count. Will it rebound in a few weeks maybe?

The difference in CD4 count is likely due to differing CD4 counts prior to infection, and different underlying immune systems and genetics. Regardless, you should also get a HIV drug resistance test to determine whether your strain is drug resistant or not, as this will have implications on what HIV treatment you get. You don't indicate whether you had previous negative tests to determine how long you may have been infected. If a repeat test shows the same CD4 count, then you will need to start treatment.

HIV and Lupus
Co-Infected, B Symptoms, 20% weight loss, neg biopsy's, change in VL - no answers - HELP