Low white blood cell count

The good news is my new change meds has viral load to undectable and cd4 at 444. Yea!! Hiv plus since 1987. I have a very resistant virus and take Intelence, Truvada, Prezista & Norvir, and Isentress. My wbc is 2.8 which is the lowest reading since I started taking the new meds back in Janurary. Previous reading was 4.2 at the end of 08. Could the meds be depressing the bone marrow? My ID doc said he is concerned but will wait and test in 3 months. If wbc is lower, a referral to a "blood" specialist is in order. What is your opinion? After reading info, I am feeling a little anxious about waiting that long. Thanks

Although these HIV meds are not usually associated with decreased blood counts, it is possible that your counts were affected by these meds given the timing of the decrease. I agree with your doctor's plan. Given your history of drug resistant virus, you have to be careful about which drugs would get peeled off if that becomes necessary to solve the problem. You are in no immediate danger with that decreased WBC, although your absolute CD4 count could artificially drop a bit.

Improving labs but low platelets
vdrl