Improving labs but low platelets

I was diagnosed in 6.2009 and have been taking Atripla now for since 7.22.2009. My lab tests were done after taking Atripla for three weeks ans the cd4 count had increased from 213 to over 400. The viral load has improved (however; I do not know the actual numbers). The reason for the original suspicion of hiv infection was low platelet count. This count has not increased (actually decreased to 13). How long does Atripla take to actually increase the platelet count? The hematologist sent me to an HIV specialist and said that medicicine would improve the counts.

Your doctor is correct. In some cases of HIV infection (like yours) the infection can affect the platelet count. HIV treatment can improve the count or get it back to the normal range. This may take a few months. On the other hand, some times the HIV treatment will not result in an improved platelet count, and in those cases giving steroids, immune globulin, or some times removing the spleen must be done.

Treatment Switch
Low white blood cell count