|HIV attacks CD8? CD3?
Aug 9, 2009
Does HIV infect cd8 or cd3 white blood cells, or affect them? I know all about HIV on cd4, but there isn't much out there about CD3 and 8's. Thanks for answering!
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
Unlikely to infect CD8 cells, unless they are dual positive CD4/CD8, of which there are a few. On the other hand, infecting CD4 cells and destroying them does affect CD8 function, in that CD4 cells are important in signaling CD8 cells to function effectively. CD3 + cells are all t lymphocytes, of which CD3+CD4+ cells are the CD4 cells we speak about.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Long Do I Wait To Get Tested After Unprotected Anal Sex?
- Kissing Stripper And HIV Transmission Risk
- Risk Of HIV Transmission From Receiving Oral Sex
- Rubbing Vagina Scared I Have AIDS
- Sharing A Toothbrush How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For HIV
- What Is The Risk Of Getting HIV From Topping Without Condom?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.