about pregnancy

Dear Expert,

I am a 39 years old women, hiv+ for the past 3 years. yet on medication. My CD4 count is 300 and viral load is 20000 copies.

My medecine are Truvada, Reyataz and Norvir.

My partner is also hiv+ for the past 5 years, also on medication with undetectable viral load and CD4 count around 1000.

his medication is made of Kivexa, Norvir and Reyataz.

We are both healthy and permanently active on the employment market.

As at now I have one month pregnancy.

The purpose of my approach is to ask as to whether the baby I am carrying now can be delivered free of hiv, otherwise it will be gratifying to provide me with the relevant advice as directed to our ongoing circumstance.

Your kind reaction is to enable our attempt to have a child free of hiv virus.

With my very best regards.

Yes, babies can be delivered with HIV infection in women who have HIV infection. I am very concerned though about the fact that your viral load is 20,000 on HIV treatment. If you are taking your meds as directed something is wrong. Your virus may have developed resistance to the meds you are taking. To maximize your baby not becoming HIV infected, you need to have a viral load that is undetectable. Therefore, if your viral load is 20,000 on HIV meds, you a resistance test, and likely a regimen change to achieve that goal.

should i start therapy, decreasing vl and cd4 count
Viral load and CD 4 count decreasing while on ARVs