The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

about pregnancy

Aug 2, 2009

Dear Expert,

I am a 39 years old women, hiv+ for the past 3 years. yet on medication. My CD4 count is 300 and viral load is 20000 copies.

My medecine are Truvada, Reyataz and Norvir.

My partner is also hiv+ for the past 5 years, also on medication with undetectable viral load and CD4 count around 1000.

his medication is made of Kivexa, Norvir and Reyataz.

We are both healthy and permanently active on the employment market.

As at now I have one month pregnancy.

The purpose of my approach is to ask as to whether the baby I am carrying now can be delivered free of hiv, otherwise it will be gratifying to provide me with the relevant advice as directed to our ongoing circumstance.

Your kind reaction is to enable our attempt to have a child free of hiv virus.

With my very best regards.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes, babies can be delivered with HIV infection in women who have HIV infection. I am very concerned though about the fact that your viral load is 20,000 on HIV treatment. If you are taking your meds as directed something is wrong. Your virus may have developed resistance to the meds you are taking. To maximize your baby not becoming HIV infected, you need to have a viral load that is undetectable. Therefore, if your viral load is 20,000 on HIV meds, you a resistance test, and likely a regimen change to achieve that goal.

should i start therapy, decreasing vl and cd4 count
Viral load and CD 4 count decreasing while on ARVs

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint