|What Good is Undetectable
Jul 11, 2009
I'm new so excuse me if this is a stupid question. What is the relevance of getting your VL down to undetectable? Obviously it is important because that's what everyone is striving for, but why? Is there a medical benefit such as a stronger immune system. Is it because it improves the CD4 count. If you are still infected and still infectious, what's the big deal?
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
I think you answered your own question. Ongoing viral replication (as measured by a detectable viral load) results in CD4 decline, loss of immune function and development of opportunistic infections and death. HIV treatment reverses these processes and outcome.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Semen After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Burning Urethra After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
- Chest Cold After Condom Popped Worried I Have HIV
- Chills After Rubbing Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Flaky Skin After Happy Ending Worried I Have HIV
- Muscle Ache After Giving Oral Sex Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.