For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Tenofovir & Kidney Function - Latest Studies

It's been known for some time that there is a connection between tenofovir (Viread) and kidney function. The link below has an overview of several of the latest studies and I was wondering if you could comment on their significance (or lack thereof).

On a personal note, I am about to start HAART with Isentress and Truvada and I want to make sure that my numbers indicate that it would be OK for me to use Truvada so your opinion in that regard would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a 46-year old white male with no hypertension and no diabetes (height 5'6'' weight 143 lbs). My serum creatinine is .95 ng/dl. According to the MDRD calculator my GFR is 91

Is this enough information for you to assess this? I hope it is. If I do start with Truvada is there anything I should watch out for? Is kidney damage irreversible?

Thanks so much for your help!

LINK to latest tenofovir/kidney studies:

Great to see that you are educating yourself about this issue. You are correct, there is an association between tenofovir and kidney function. Patients with underlying kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, or taking certain other meds, among other reasons, are at greatest risk for tenofovir associated kidney complications. Given the history you presented, I see no reason why you can't use truvada.

cd4 and viral load
Should I be concerned?