Viral Load in Semen
May 30, 2009
As I understand it, a positive person having an undetectable viral load means the amount of the virus is so miniscule that it cannot be counted using modern technology. Furthermore, that a CD4 count of 50 or fewer copies would be categorized as being completely undetectable.
If antiretroviral medications only control multiplication of HIV in the blood, where does this leave the multiplication of HIV in the semen? Based on how viral loads behave in the blood, semen would consistently grow to become incredibly potent with HIV correct? If true, do you need additional medication for HIV in semen?
Thanks so much!
Response from Dr. Holodniy
HIV meds control HIV replication in multiple compartments of the body (including semen) not just in the blood. In the absence of HIV meds, viral load is lower in the semen than blood.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can You Catch HIV From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Painful Urination After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Can A Sexually Transmitted Disease Cause A Sore On Your Gums?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.