Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

resting cells
May 3, 2009

Dr Holodniy

I'm a medical student studying in the UK and i'm hoping you can help me with a couple of questions regarding the behaviour of hiv within restng cells. We have been studying how the virus works and how it replicates, however one thing has me slightly puzzled. Normally, the virus infects a cell, incorporates itself into the DNA and then begins to reproduce, right? However the virus cannot replicate within resting cells and can lay dormant in these cells indefinately as they are not checked by the immune system, only cells that have been activated by the immune system can reproduce the virus when they divide. Could this mean that when the virus first enters a persons body, it could theoretically only infect resting cells and remain dormant until the cells are activated by other pathogens?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

That's a good question, but the virus is more likely/efficient to infect activated cells that resting cells.

Previous
Scared and lost
Next
What if Sculptra doesn't work?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.