Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4% going up and VL still undetectable while absolute CD4 is going down
Apr 5, 2009

Hi Dr. first of all many thanks for answering my question few months ago and hope you can answer this one, your help is highly appreciated. I was diagnosed with HIV in October 2008 with CD4 410 and 27% and VL of 132K after three months of treatment with Atripla my results (Jan 2009) are as follow: CD4 630 & 42.36%, Leucocytes 7.68, Neutrophils 5.69 (74.1%), Lymphocytes 1.47 (19.1%) Monocytes 0.44 (5.7%),Eosinophils 0.03 (0.4%), Basinophils 0.05 (0.7%) and VL <40; my recent results after another three months (Apr 2009) were CD4 457, CD4% 47.69, Leucocytes 6.11, Neutrophils 4.01 (65.7%), Lymphocytes 1.69 (27.6%), Monocytes 0.26 (4.2%), Eosinophils 0.09 (1.5%), Basonophils 0.06 (1%) and VL <40 Kidney function good, liver function good except a high S-ALT (GPT)of 52 all other indicators are good and I feel in good health. I had high Cholesterol a month ago but now it is back to normal with Crestor 10mg a day. I am worried as to why my CD4 has gone down to almost the same level of 5 months ago when I started the treatment while my CD4% has gained 20% more? What is the equivalent of a CD4% of 47.69 in absolute CD4 and why it does not show in my case? Even when I had a CD4of 42.36% three months ago my absolute CD4 was 629. You mentioned in some of your postings that if the absolute WBC and Lymphocytes goes down while the CD4% is the same (stable) then this means no change in absolute counts. What about in my case while WBC has gone down but the absolute Lymphocytes and the CD4% has gone up substantially? How do you see that change good or bad? Do you think that the Crestor could have pushed my absolute CD4 down? My Dr. told me that Truvada (the other component of Atripla) can cause such a variation and not to worry but my question is why is that change of almost 170 down with CD4? Sorry for being long and many millions of thanks for your answers.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

No worries. The absolute CD4 count can fluctuate. A more stable number over time is the CD4% which has continued to increase, but likely will be at a plateau now, which is fine. Crestor has nothing to do with this. I agree with your doctor.

Previous
Bat vision non CMV
Next
Leg Pain

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.