Role of CD8 in HIV progression

Hi Dr. Hope you can help me understand something, in one of your recent posting 15th Feb 2009 you mentioned that - a normal reaction to HIV infection is an increase in CD8 count and percent and that the total lymphocyte count increase is likely a reflection of the increased CD8 count - . I would like to mention that one old study published by Being Alive Newsletter in September 1993 in LA (conducted by Dr. Mark Katz) they found that people with a higher levels of CD8 subset called CD38 had progressed more rapidly to AIDS, but they also stressed the need for further research into the role of CD8 as a co-factor in HIV progression. Do we have any new update in this regards and what is the conclusion? I am kindly asking you that because my recent labs results did came with a decrease of the absolute CD4 count and WBC but an increase of CD4% and an increase in the absolute Lymphocytes count and % so if my I follow the reasoning well an increase of the Lymphocytes means an increase in my CD8 count which in turn means that I might progress more rapidly toward AIDS? Unless I am missing something? What can someone do as further test to confirm that and eventually to reverse this progression if true? Thanks you very much in advance for your help that could also be useful for other HIVers

That study and others like it were conducted prior to the availability of current potent HIV medication regimens we have today and a better understanding of the functional role of CD8 cells on containing HIV infection.

How is CD4 count calculated?
HCV