Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Monotherapy Effectiveness
Apr 5, 2009

Hello; I've been on Kaletra alone for at least 3 years and my VD has remained undetectable (even when meassured with the very sensitive test). It's been great for me as the severity of s/effects with the cocktail has been debilitating for me. With Kaletra alone I can say that I'm virtually free of s/effects (performing well at work, etc). Prior to that I was on Kaletra and 2 other drugs (2001), then reduced to one other drug (2002/2003). My CD count has barely reached over 300 on a couple of times and for a short time. In general it stays around 270 or 280. Should I consider adding another drug to Kaletra, or perhaps change to a new drug/s?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Great question. You are one of a group of people who have been successfully maintained on Kaletra monotherapy for many months to years. Given that your viral load remains undetectable, you are unlikely to benefit from additional drugs now. This has been tried by adding various newer generation drugs with variable success, in terms of increasing CD4 counts.

Previous
Should I go for third treatnemnt
Next
Elisa Indeterminate then Positive, waiting on Western

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.