Help with labs and other info
Mar 15, 2009
I've been recently diagnosed with HIV; my labs results as follows: CD4 462; CD8 suppresor 1296 CD8 61.8 CD4/CD8 ratio .36. VL of 58,300. My questions: 1) Based on these numbers would it be possible to determine more likely or give an idea of when was I infected, too long ago or recently? 2)Last time I had sex I was exposed to the virus with someone who is HIV positive in early Jan 2009.. I was tested a few days later (less than a week)would it be possible that I was infected during this sexual encounter and the conversion from hiv negative to positive occurred just in days? or if accurate to say that more likely I was already infected if seroconversion doesn't normally occur that quickly? 3)Based on my lab results, would you recommend treatment now or wait until my CD4 numbers are lower? 4)Can I increase my CD4 levels without medication for now and only based on good nutrition, healthy life style and supplements I'm not sure if once my CD4 levels start going down I won't be able to bring them back to normal levels without medication. I appreciate your advice and prompt response.Thanks
Response from Dr. Holodniy
1. Unlikely that you can determine when. 2. It is not clear from your statement after the encounter about HIV antibody status. You don't indicate whether you have had previous negative tests. If you had contact and were tested within days and the test was negative and now you are positive, then this would likely be the significant exposure. 3. Your CD4 count is almost in the normal range and your viral load is in the moderate range. there is no urgency to start now. I would also want to see a few more points on the line to see what kind of trend you have in the numbers. 4. Always a good thing to do, but unlikely to significantly impact your CD4 count by itself and without HIV treatment.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Odds Of Contracting HIV Cut On Lip
- Probability Of Getting HIV From Vaginal Sex
- Risk Of Sharing A Drink
- Probability Of Getting HIV From Blowjob From A Prostitute
- Night Sweats After Sex With Sex Worker Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sinus Infection After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.