VL Significant Increase?

Hi, my blood results in Nov 08 were CD4: 785, VL: 18,388 (27%)and now Jan 09 CD4: 865, VL: 63,880. I'm quite concerned that my VL has increased by 45,492! yet my CD4 has increased by 80. Is this increase in VL significant (more than 3-fold)? I did not have any immunisations or illness around the time of testing - it has left me baffled. Any ideas? and what should my next steps be? Thank you.

You are asking all the right questions. Given your normal CD4 count, I am not concerned with one value that shows this level of increase. If there are no medical reasons that we can find then it is still likely assay variability. Although the 3-fold rule is the average range for assay variability, it can be lower or higher than that. If there is a clinical reason to recheck, that is what I do. In your case, I don't think there is any reason to check sooner than your next scheduled visit.

is a cd4 of 470 normal
mutation scores