Testing For Recreational Drugs

Quarterly, my doctor orders lab tests on my viral load, CD4 count, CBC, lipids, glucose, and kidneys. I just got a copy of my latest lab results and saw that I had been tested extensively for narcotics, street and recreational drugs, and a host of other drugs that I did not recognize. I am not now and have never been a recreational drug user and was shocked by the type and extent of this kind of testing. I plan to raise this issue with my doctor during my next quarterly visit. But before that visit, can you tell me if testing for recreational drug use is standard proceure for a person like me who has never used such drugs? My ultimate concern is whether I have been the victim of an unwarranted invasion of privacy since I had no knowledge that such testing was being done and did not knowingly consent to it.

No testing for recreational drugs is NOT routine. We certainly get the test if someone presents with mental status changes, or if they are on a contract because of prior abuse history. And yes you should raise this with your doctor.

CD4 fluctuation
Hep. B surface antibody