Completed baffled on how I got infected

Hi doc. Girlfriend notified me last month that she tested + last month so I immediately got tested as well and found out so was I. Her CD4 count was zero and VL was 700K and doc told her she may have been infected for 5-10 years. Here's what's baffling me. I was in the military until 2006 and was required to get tested every year religiously. All tests negative each time. My labs indicated my CD4 count was 230 and VL was 7K. We have been together for the last 5-6 years so if she has in fact been infected for that long, how would it be explained why I haven't tested + during any of those years until now. I have not been sick at all except for when I landed in the hospital for a few days and was diagnosed with IBS after a really bothersome stomach ailment. My WBC have always been low due to Graves Disease and the thyroid replacement med I take so I gather docs weren't too concerned about that. Can you help me understand how this may have happened please?????

It can only be explained that you were infected some time after 2006, likely as a result of unprotected sex.

Re-occuring Salivary Gland inflammation with Rash
Hep A & Hep B Vaccines to a person with Hep C