Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re-occuring Salivary Gland inflammation with Rash
Jan 31, 2009

I've recently had inflammation of my salivary gland on the left side under my tongue which has been re-occuring off and on for the past 2 months. Along with the inflammation it seems a rash is consitant with the presence of the gland inflammation. The rash does not itch, it is round in shape, and I suspected that it may be a superficial fungal infection, and I've applied some OTC fungal cream which does take the rash away somewhat, however they spring up in other places, mostly on my upper chest on both sides.

I've been to my HIV doctor but doesn't seem concerned and hasn't taken any scrappings for culture nor furthered looked into why I've just started getting the gland inflammation. Another symptom is that I've progressively been getting short of breath on excertion with a dull pressure in my chest which is only resolved with rest.

I'm purplexed as to what is going on and would hope that you may be able to shed some light on the possibility of what any correlation of these conditions and symptoms have in common if any.

My CD4 are 170 and VL 150. I started on HAART in Sept. 08.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer me.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

From my vantage point, these appear to be 3 different issues. Regarding the gland, is it really the salivary gland and not an enlarged lymph node? Also, is there really only the one gland or node that is increased in size? HIV itself can cause both the glands or nodes to swell. However, other things like infections, tumors, etc can result in these findings. I am certain your doctor has taken these things into account when evaluating it. You don't indicate your age or possible risk factors for lung or heart disease, but this should likely be checked out.

Previous
current status
Next
Completed baffled on how I got infected

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.