onset of symptoms

I was recently (3/07)diagnosed w/ HIV (actually full blown AIDS (Tcells 196) aids-related Non-Hodgkins lymphoma large cellB, HepC. I've never had sex w/ men or injected anything, I've had sex w/ 10 women in entire life, hardly promiscuous, and monogamous since married ('91)( wife tested neg) .... I had a series of massive transfusions in march '83 as a result of a helicopter crash in Pakistan --2 units of field transfused blood from pakistani soldiers ( they didn't even due blood typing I just lucked out, twice!!)and 10+ units at the American Embassy Hosp. in Islamabad where all blood came from USA. This is all pretty documented, surgeries, transfusions, etc. My HIV doctor plays it coy but I can tell he doesn't believe me about this being my only risk factor..... I'm in remission from the blood cancer after chemo, undetectable now for HIV and cleared HepC after 12 wks (geno 2), but still w/ 20 wks to go on interferon/ribavirin therapy . Heptalogist says the HIV Dr. is "just going by the probabilities." So is it possible I could be HIV asymptomatic for 23 yrs. before I started to get sick in early '06? Thank you for your kind help????

You don't indicate whether you had any follow-up HIV testing in the 23 years after your accident and transfusions. It is certainly possible that HIV infection could have occurred that long ago and taken that long to progress to a point that symptoms then developed.

What Now ????
HBV DNA results