Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

vl & cd4/cd8 ratio
Jan 11, 2009

Dear Dr., (QUESTION 1: Why is my VL so low without meds?) Without any meds, I have mostly maintained an undetectable viral load since 2003, only spiking to 938 once, four times 100-400, and 13 times >75, including now. My cd4 counts ranged from 500-800 and is 633 now. (QUESTION 2: Is my CD4/CD8 inversion significant?) While my cd4/cd8 ratio began at 2.0, it has now inverted to .84. However, my CD4% has only declined from 50% to 38% over the last 5.5 years. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. Given that your CD4 count and percent are in the normal range with an undetectable viral load, it is likely that your immune system is able to control the HIV infection on its own with HIV meds. 2. Although you don't indicate what your CD8 count is, it is likely that the ratio has decreased as a result of an increased CD8 count ( a normal reaction to HIV infection).

Previous
weak because of my meds
Next
late dose/viral blip

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.