Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Inconsistent anti HCV results
Dec 21, 2008

Hi Doctor, I went in to my internist for a routine bloodwork. I am a dentist, so we decided to do a complete hep panel. I subsequently came back with positive for hepc antibodies. MD felt i was low risk and told me it maybe a false positive. MD told me to go to a different lab for a new antibody test, RIBA and HCV RNA QUANT. So far the new antibody test is negative so lab did not do the riba. we are still waiting for the hcv rna. The problem is that my internist will be out of town for 3-4 weeks. All emergencies are directed to another clinic/hospital. MD strongly felt that the first test was definitely a false pos. and there is no urgency. LFT were wnl.

I dont feel I have been exposed. However, there are a few incidences which do raise my anxiety.

1-few times of splashes of fluids from patients mouth to my face. Not a lot maybe a few droplets. Mask was worn, but googles may have been off. 2-current participation in contact sport, wrestling in this case. I recall a few incidences of blood on my rashguards and clothes. 3-no transfusions, but had IV fluids and antibiotics for a severe case of the flu at a hospital. Absolutely no drug use at all, no tattoos, piercings or barbershop shavings only haircuts. Monogamous with wife for past 4+years. Even though MD said not to worry because i am low risk I am extremely concerned and anxious. Moreso, because the RIBA was not done and the rna results will not be seen for 3-4 weeks. Given this limited information, do you feel there is a good chance of an initial false positive? Or are false negatives more commonplace? Equally important, are my risk factors exaggerated and unwarranted? I appreciate any input during these tense times. Regards.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Unfortunately, you will have to wait for a confirmatory test result to determine the true status.

Previous
confused cd4
Next
HEP B results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.