Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Primary/acute infection and labs
Dec 21, 2008

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

I was first diagnosed with HIV infection about a month ago. I experienced a typical sickness (fever, achey, headache, fatigue, etc.) November 14-19 and saw my doctor on the 19th when she did various HIV tests. I got the results a week later on the 26th. My viral load was more than 10 million and did not have measurable antibodies. I don't believe I have seroconverted even yet. The tests taken on the 26th showed the same viral load and a CD4 count of 681, CD4 % of 34.

About a week later, Dec. 4, I had tests taken again. I do not have the viral load yet but my CD4s had dropped by half--count of 323 and percentage of 17.03. I was tested again on Dec. 9 and had a CD4 number of 311 and percentage of 18.89.

What are your thoughts on my very high viral load and the dramatic drop in my CD4s?

Thanks,

PS: I have enrolled under a treatment study for people in primary/acute infection--thats why I have had so many tests.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The very high viral load and CD4 count decline are very consistent with acute HIV infection.

Previous
CD 4 count drop
Next
confused cd4

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.