Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I need help, from Russia (part 2)
Dec 14, 2008

Íello. Tnk you very much for your attantion to my really big problem. I ll try to describe my situation fully: My name is Alex, I m 30, I m HIV and Hepatitis C since 2001, i m without therapy (HIV) for 8 years. Today my CD 286, viral load (HIV) 4260. I discovered thrombocytopenia in 2005 year. My platelet count was 14000 (if normal 160000-350000) in 2005 year. Nobody from our doctors knew what cause in our thrombocytopenia. I ve got on a drip by immunoglobulin in 2006 year. I did it by 5 days every 3 month for 1 year. Imunoglobulin did nt help me, platelet count weved from 40000 to 10000. Next year 2007 the platelet level was 3000-5000. So, i decided to check platelet antibodies (my resalt was 1400% if normal is not more than 200%). This result did not say anything, i m not a doctor, all the information take from different places and by difficult ways. When i despair of choosing correct treatment, my wife found a doctor haematologist, who said to treat HEPATITIS C first of all, inspite of my critical platelet down level (3000). I started treatment by Pegasys (Peginterferon alfa-2a). When i started Pegasys, my CD was 280, viral load (HIV) 3200, viral load (hepatit)-6000000, biochemistry (liver) AST 50, ALT 30 and platelet count 3000. So, I gave an injection, after the 2 inject my platelet count shows 100000. It was really win. The viral load (hepat) began undefined after the 4 inject. I did injects during the 28 weeks. All the treatment way platelet count was normal. But when i finished Pegas, my platelet count began to reduce. It was 100000 after one month, 12000- after 2 months. Today my viral load (hepatit) is undefined for 5 months after finishing Pegas, my platelet count is waved from 4000 to 40000. CD 286, viral load (HIV) 4260. Checking platelet antibodies today after the treatment Pegas shows 300% (the hormal began from 200%). My bilirubin is TBIL-42,8 DBIL-13,6. My doctor say that i have to start therapy (HIV) Combivir+Stocrin and it helps to avoid trombocytopenia. So, i told everything, i ll be thankful and happy if you give us information, advise, helpness. I m really don t know what to do, i m ready to therapy but is it really help to my situation? Thank you very much for your inestimable work.We need you.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

HIV can certainly be associated with very low platelet counts and starting HIV treatment can reverse this problem in many but not all people. So I agree with your doctor's plan and the combination he suggests.

Previous
Why the drop in CD4??
Next
abnormal viral count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.