HIV RNA and HIV ANTIBODY
Oct 31, 2008
hello doctor, i am a student of prophetic medicine. i research on the cure of hiv/aids. i request your comment on the following sequences plz: 1. a person was detected hiv+ through hiv antibody test(positive), western blot test (positive)and hiv RNA detection by RT PCR"(positive). is he a 100% confirm hiv+ patient?
2. after taking my treatment for few months his "hiv antibody reduced from 23.76 to 8.22", "CD4 cell count raised from 55 to 374",and "hiv rna detection by RT PCR became negative thrice with an interval of 30 days each". is it a hope for us?
3. i know there is no cure of hiv/aids at present. but hypothetically you please consider that a patient has got cured 100%. what are the diagnostic tests to confirm his 100% cure?
4. how long the hiv antibody will remain in the body?
i request to get your reply through e mail please. may God bless you. best regards.
Response from Dr. McGowan
I am glad that your HIV has been suppressed on treatment. As you state at this point we cannot cure HIV. We can suppress it so that there are no active virus particles in the blood. We may not be able to detect virus in the body. However, what remains is the genetic material of the virus. The immune system is stimulated to make antibodies when it is exposed to the parts of the virus (called antigens). When the virus particles are no longer present (being suppressed by the treatment) the antibody count and the HIV-specific activity of the immune system will wane. So a dropping antibody titer can be expected when virus is suppressed. What we so far cannot get rid of is the bits of genetic material that are left hiding inside some of the T cells. This is being worked on and there is great hope that some day we can eliminate these genes. The good news is that these "sleeping" genes should pose little threat to you as long as you keep the virus supressed on meds.
Good luck, Joe
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Why Do Doctors Prescribe Different Antibiotics For Chlamydia?
- When They Do The Hiv Blood Test Do They Also Check For Herpes?
- What Is The Earliest Time Frame Of Wart Formation After Exposure To Hpv?
- What Color Are Herpes Lesions?
- What Are The Ways Chlamydia Is Spread?
- What Are The Warning Signs Of Gonorrhea And Chlamydia?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.