Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How are rapid progressors identified?
Oct 26, 2008

I was infected just 3 years ago. No resistance to any meds as per the G/P test. In the last 3 months I have kept check, my CD numbers have dropped from 502 (May 29) to 376 (July 19) to 226 (October 9) and my VL has increased from 8,000 to 50,000 to 111,000. % has not budged still hovering at around 19%, although I do not take any comfort from that as that can't really last much longer on this pattern. When I read the standard literature on AIDS, it seems to suggest I am progressing to AIDS at twice the normal rate. Why am I not a normal progressor? I am very concerned because I am still working my way through the bureaucracy for the Merck Phase III trial on Isentress for the treatment naive, but I am wondering whether I am wasting precious time and risking a serious opportunistic infection at any time while I wait. Should I ask the doctor to scap my participation in the trial and start taking Atripla immediately? immediately.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You are correct to worry about the trend. Progression is complex and is related to the type of virus you were infected by, and your underlying genetics. Although isentress is already approved for people who are HIV treatment experienced, the data from clinical trials looks very good when it is used up front in people's first regimen. I would likely recommend starting treatment now and Atripla is a good choice.

Previous
HEP C Results
Next
Atripla and Undetectable

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.