Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Major drop in my CD4 test
Oct 18, 2008

Hello. I'm a 22yo male from Argentina. My CD4 count was 712 at the beginning of the year. The next one was 678, and three months later it was 564. I got my new results today and it's 362, which is a huge drop. The percentage dropped a lot as well. The strange thing is that my viral load is actually lower (21.000, as opposed to 35.000 in the last test results). I'm not on medications, since I was only diagnosed with HIV about a year ago, the infection happening aproximately about a year and a half ago.

I really don't want to start taking medicines right now, considering I'm applying for a scholarship in the US for a semester and I know that would keep me from going there. Besides, I honestly thought I'd go a longer way without needing medications.

At the time of my last test, the one that dropped a lot, I had a herpes simplex in my mouth, that occasionally shows up, and I was going trough some stress due to exams in the University. My doctor, whom I trust a lot, sent me to redo the CD4 count since she thinks it must've been a mistake and is really surprised. Do you think this could have been a factor in such a huge drop?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what the CD4% was for each of these values to determine the significance of the percent drop. Yes, ongoing concurrent infections can cause CD4 counts and percent to drop.

Previous
2nd Set of Labs
Next
drop in vl without meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.