Does PCR mean virus?
Apr 20, 2001
Dear Dr. Please, what really does a PCR mesure? Does 100,000 copies/ml mean 100,000 virus? I've read in a book that it needs 10,000 copies/ml to get one simple virus. And only one virus doesn't do any damage to anyone, right?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
PCR is a molecular technology that measures genetic material (DNA or RNA). Thus, a PCR test measures the HIV virus and not antibody. One copy is essentially equivalent to one virus particle.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blisters After Licking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Hair Loss After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Headache After Giving A Bj Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Urethra After Licking Anus Worried I Have
- Sinus Infection After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.