Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4% and Selenium
Sep 21, 2008

Hello Dr. Holodniy, A few months ago I wrote you that me and my HIV+ partner have been daily taking Green Tea and 200g Selenium supplements. He has been at least 8 years in the undetectable virus stadium and his CD4 count has increased over the last year from 550, 580, 638, 618 and today 583 since taking the extra supplements. I take the supplements as a preventive program I use myself, living with an HIV+ partner. Last time, you asked me about his CD4%. I have that information now; 41%, 38%, 40%, 43%, and today 39%. I work as a Biochemistry/Toxicology Lab Tech and have studying alternative ways to improve the Immune System and Block HIV from Spreading. I have learned that Green Tea supplements block HIV from entering T-Cells at the gp-120 receptor and also prevents Reverse Transcriptase. Selenium strengthens the cell wall, reduces Free Radicals, binds with metals and boosts Killer cells, T-Cells and Macrophages. Both Selenium and Green Tea work in synergy. Also I am Circumsized at birth (i.e.; before puberty) - Apparently, that is a strong protector against infection, as well. My question is what are your thoughts on us having unprotected sex if I am the active partner??? He is worried, as he does not want to risk infecting me - I can understand this, as he has been positive for 13 years. But, my reasoning is that the virus would have to be "Superman" to come out of its dormant state... surpass the drugs he is taking daily..surpass his undetectable status.. surpass the Green Tea and Selenium he takes...surpass my circumsision... and then to finally surpass my Green Tea and Selenium blocks I take daily. Aren't the chances of me becoming infected EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY LOW???? On this website, even, I have read about 50 couples in Africa where the circumsized at birth husbands were HIV- and the wives were HIV+. NOT ONE of the men contracted the virus. And they did not have the added protection of the supplements. Your thoughts are appreciated. My friend's doctor tells us in the unprotected stadium, a person is not infectious.

Thank you!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Thanks for the follow-up on the numbers. That is indeed interesting, and perhaps a placebo controlled study would be in order to see if this works in more people. I could never recommend unprotected sex between discordant couples, or for a couple where both are HIV infected for that matter. The risk may be low, but it is not zero.

Previous
CD4count HIV and AIDS
Next
reply_breathing difficulties

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.