Viral Load: What Makes It Rise?

Dear Dr. Holodniy, I was diagnosed with HIV 1,5 years ago, the time of infection is unknown. I do my routine blood work every 3-4 months: my CD4 count varies between 540 and 990, and the VL goes down to as little as 800 and as much as 7400 (the highest to date as of Feb 2001). I do not have any symptoms of HIV and generally am in a good shape. I am not on medication and have never taken any of the antiretrovirals. Most of my knowledge about HIV and related issues comes from The Body (thank you very much for keeping this site so valuable for so many people) but I could not find any information on what causes the viral load to rise. What makes the VL go up? Does it go up suddenly or slowly and gradually? I understand that a lot depends on one's immune system's ability to contain the virus but is there anything I can do to maintain the lowest possible level of HIV for as long as possible? I pay a lot of attention to my diet, I try to avoid the unnecessary stress at work, and keep fit as much as I can. However, I understand that no matter what I do, the viral load has a life of its own. Is there ANYTHING that I can do to keep the virus at bay? I would very much appreciate your response.

You appear to have a very good immune system that can contain the virus. We know that certain kinds of infections (herpes viruses for instance) and vaccinations can increase HIV viral loads. These elevations are usually transient (several days to a couple of weeks). These elevations can increase viral load ten times or more. It usually happens more frequently in people who are not taking HIV meds. It's hard to protect oneself from all the elements out there, but it sounds like you are doing a great job. MH

an ARS question
Testing/window/3-months exactly?