Aug 31, 2008
How does one tell what HIV virus strain they have? How many virus strains are there? Thank You.
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
HIV is divided into several subtypes, labeled with letters. Subtype B is the most common in the U.S. Within a person the virus can have multiple substrains or quasi-species, which can also be different in different tissues. The major subtype of virus can be determined by certain kinds of lab tests. Determining what kinds and how many quasi-species a person has requires very sophisticated testing done in research labs.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Rash After Vaginal Sex Without Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Itchy Skin After Kissing Cold Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Penis Discharge After Receptive Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Tiredness After Getting Fingered Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Does Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding Mean I Have An Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.