HIV & Immune System
Aug 24, 2008
Hello Dr. Holodniy:
Is there a test available that would tell the current recovery state a HIV+ persons immune system is in since being on ART (Atripla) for a year? Current CD4 count is 575, up from 227 a year ago before starting ART.
Thank you Doctor.
Response from Dr. Holodniy
Although there are some research-based tests that can assess the function of certain kinds of immune system cells, these are not performed in the normal course of clinical care. The CD4 absolute count and percentage is therefore used as a proxy, as the more of these cells one has, in general the better the function of the immune system.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Oral Ulcers A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Flu Symptoms After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Drinking After Someone Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Red Spots After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Can I Get Std From Giving A Women Oral Sex?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.