Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recently diagnosed with HIV
Jul 20, 2008

I am scared because I was recently diagnosed with HIV 7/11/08.. CD4 count is low in its 60's.. I read somewhere that that means AIDS.. how can it be?? Viral Load is in 160,000 range.. I thought I had the flu but it turned out to be PCP.. I was getting sick all time (not normal for me).. and each time I was getting worst (stress, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, migraines, shingles, with history of A.L.Leukemia at age two remission since), I demanded my doctor to run ALL immune virus and disorders test all but the HIV came negative.. I have always been a fighter.. I was in the hospital 2 times total of ten days for PCP and is finally starting to clear after about a month. While hospitalized I was monitored by the infectous disease doctor, and am told that treatment is MANDATORY.. What can I expect? I love my life, and miss doing a lot of stuff like hiking.. I dont want to loose my job (hospital security..) My immediate family and partner knows about this.. I don't know where esle to turn for feedback and support..

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes, that CD4 count is extremely low, and explains why you developed PCP. A CD4 count of < 200 is the definition for AIDS. I agree with your doctor and HIV treatment is required ASAP. The good news is that almost all of this is reversible with HIV meds. Your risk of infections and feeling the way you do will all go away if you stay on your meds. Hiking is very much in your future.

Previous
Am I predisposed to Lactic acidosis?
Next
What does a high level of SGBT mean?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.