My New Lab Results

Hi Dr., Quick question, did the guidelines or test change or get modified for testing the viral load? For the past few years, I have been undetectable <50. Today when I went to my doctor for my 3 month checkup, I remain undetectable, and the printout from the lab said <48. My doctor mentioned that there is another more sensitive test that is being used. Is this true? Please advice and thank you. (I am on Kaletra & Truvada, for 4 years now) Frankie

Yes, the lower limit of detection (LLD) is dropping slightly. There are some tests that now have an LLD of < 40 for instance. And some research-based tests are pushing the LLD to < 5 copies or < 1 copy. The < 48 is a bit curious to me. Do you know which assay this is?

help cd4 is very lower
Very low CD4 % and high viral load