Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Selenium and Green Tea as PREP prevention
Jul 13, 2008

Dear Dr. Holodniy, Last April (2007) my HIV-postive partner and I started taking Selenium as a way to boost our immune sytems. I am HIV-negative, so I take it as a sort of pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PREP. Since then we have also incorporated Green Tea supplements into our daily diet. Green Tea apparently blocks HIV from attaching to the gp-20 receptor. Since then my partner's viral load has remained undetectable and his already stable 550 CD4 count has increased to 638. I am still negative. What are you views on what this increase REALLY means?? I know his immune system has strengthened and he has gained weight..But I am sure there is more I can be happy about! Thank you. By the way, I have written a report about it. If you would like to read it let me know! Kindest regards.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although there is likely no harm in taking such supplements, I am not aware of any randomized, blinded, controlled studies showing any benefit for prevention of HIV infection or restoration of the immune system in those with HIV infection. But I am always happy to learn. I would be interested to know whether the CD4% also increased, in addition to the absolute CD4 count; since absolute CD4 counts are much more variable than the CD4% which is a more stable number over time.

Previous
After the MMR shot
Next
Co-expressing cd4/cd8?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.