Resistance testing information
Jul 13, 2008
Dear Dr. Mark:
- Since i have developed resistance my doctor wants me to get a resistance test done.
- Which type of test is the most recommended ?
- Also can you suggest a lab or a company in your area.
- Is is legal to send blood sample that is properly packaged by FED EX from overseas.
- Can the resistance test samples be sent in ambiant tempreture ?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
First, how is it known your virus has developed resistance without benefit of having already performed a resistance test? There are multiple vendors that can perform the test. The two major types are genotyping (looking at the sequence of the virus) and phenotyping (looking at how well the virus grows in the presence of HIV drugs). The latter is more expensive. Which to use is dependent partly on how complex the HIV treatment history is. Both require blood plasma, and must be transported frozen, preferably on dry ice. Yes, these samples can be shipped by couriers from overseas.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.