Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing For Vitamins and Minerals Deficiencies
Jul 5, 2008

I understand that such testing is possible and desirable in people with HIV and I intend to talk to my doctor about it in a couple of weeks. I do not know anything about how such testing is done or whether it has a specific name. Does the doctor have to be specific about the vitamin/minerals the wants to test or does the test automatically test for all vitimans and minerals (doubt it)?. Given the latest studies on selenium, I certainly would like that one to be included in the test. Any other typically low items that I should request my doctor for as a precaution?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

This is certainly not a routine test battery that we order in HIV infected people. In most cases, we are looking for something very specific (like iron deficiency anemia). In almost all HIV infected people who eat a normal diet, and/or take a multivitamin, such testing is unnecessary. There are several commercial labs that will test blood, urine, or hair samples for various minerals or vitamin levels. Getting them paid for by insurance companies many be quite difficult unless there is significant justification for it.

Previous
dvt + tb
Next
test result

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.