Testing For Vitamins and Minerals Deficiencies

I understand that such testing is possible and desirable in people with HIV and I intend to talk to my doctor about it in a couple of weeks. I do not know anything about how such testing is done or whether it has a specific name. Does the doctor have to be specific about the vitamin/minerals the wants to test or does the test automatically test for all vitimans and minerals (doubt it)?. Given the latest studies on selenium, I certainly would like that one to be included in the test. Any other typically low items that I should request my doctor for as a precaution?

This is certainly not a routine test battery that we order in HIV infected people. In most cases, we are looking for something very specific (like iron deficiency anemia). In almost all HIV infected people who eat a normal diet, and/or take a multivitamin, such testing is unnecessary. There are several commercial labs that will test blood, urine, or hair samples for various minerals or vitamin levels. Getting them paid for by insurance companies many be quite difficult unless there is significant justification for it.

dvt + tb
test result