Being Untetectable

I caught my hiv disease early and started my meds right away and Iam undetectable. How long can I stay untetecable? My partner is negative can he still catch HIV from me? Iam on kaletra and Truvada, Thank You!!!!!!

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am very glad to hear that you are doing so well on your anti-HIV drugs. By maintaining adherence with your regimen, there is no reason why you should not be able to have a viral load below the level of detection for the foreseeable future. Your risk of transmitting HIV to others is substantially less due to your "undetectable" viral load. However, a viral load test is a point in time test and for this reason most guidelines recommend safer sex practices even in the setting of an undetectable viral load. Also having an undetectable viral load only refers to the risk of HIV transmission. It does not similarly reduce the risk of transmitting or contracting other STDs.

Good luck, Joe

POSITIVE BUT NO DRUGS
Symptoms are definate, ELISA is negative- 1 year out