Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

V/L "Blip"?
Jun 8, 2008

Diagnosed June '07. v/l then was 298,000 and t cells at 375. started HAART Feb '08, Truvada/Kaletra at my pushing. Age 50/great health so likely minimal side effects.

Jan '08 v/l was 41,000. 5 weeks after meds v/l dropped to 367 and tcells flat at 350 but % increased 4 pts. 6 weeks later v/l at 167 and t% up to 21%. Just tested another 5 weeks later and t cells at 458! % up again but v/l didn't drop as I had hoped on the path to undetectable but instead went to 225 and from log 2.2 to 2.4.

since I've not yet made undetectable, is this normal on the progression scale?

my dr is on vacation to Europe for a week so I'm calm but just curious as to what might be going on. Sometimes I think this site is great when people share their experiences on HAART and the conflicting lab results that come back.

Appreciate the insight as always...you guys are the best! I'm acknowledging next Monday's 1 yr anniversary of viral enhanced by smiling and realizing that despite what I thought the first few hours/days of diagnosis, life goes on and I WILL make the best of every day.

Carpe diem to all!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I am not concerned. You are on a very potent regimen and your baseline viral load was not that high. Some times it can take up to 6 months or so to get to < 50 copies/mL. This is actually not a blip, in that you have not been undetectable yet to see the viral load blip. The scenarios are: 1) you will get there this next time; 2) you are stalled at a very low, but detectable viral load, which might require treatment modification; or 3) the viral load will rebound, which might indicate some drug resistance, and treatment modification would also be in order.

Previous
liver numbers
Next
Slightly elevated AST and ALT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.