hearing loss from cold, prednisone and hiv

Hello and thanks for your continued help. As a result of a cold, I've had hearing loss and congestion in my ear for about eight weeks. I've used antibiotics, decogestants, antihistamines, etc. Went to my audiologist, and they referred me to an ENT specialist. He said that normally he would prescribe a steroid for this(probably prednisone), but because I'm HIV+, he would not and gave me more antibiotics and antihistamines. I asked why no steroids and he said it would lower the immune system. I am healthly, on Atripla, no viral load and cd4's around 600. Isn't he mistaken? It seems like more and more antibiotics would be harmful as well. Thank you,

There is no harm in giving a short course of steroids for the appropriate condition to folks with HIV infection. We do it all the time. Yes steroids affect the immune system, and it is exactly that reason (if this is an inflammatory-post infectious process) we would give them. Your numbers are great, so I don't see a problem, if steroids are the appropriate course of action here.

FALLOPIAN TUBES CLOSED - CAN I GO FOR OPERATION
pneumonia vaccine