Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

not able to get undetectable
May 11, 2008

i was diagnosed with AIDS three years ago and promptly started a regiment of Kaletra and Truvada (my cd4 was 47 and my vl was 667,000). During the next 1 1/2 yrs. my cd4 rose to 460 but i was only undetectable once. This past Dec my vl crept up to 1000 so a genotype was done and showed only a minor mutation but nothing that would cause resisitance. Still my doc switched me to prezizta and truvada 5 mos ago. My cd4 went up to 560 and my v.l went done to 70 until my last two blood tests done 6 wks ago and 2 weeks ago..they read a vl of 200 and most recently 240. I am very very concerned and the doc can't seem to give me a reason why. i am virtually perfect with adherence to my meds. Is it time to switch to a regiment from a different class?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I understand your concern. The good news is you have overall had a great response. Despite that, you appear to have a persistently low detectable viral load. Unfortunately, the viral load is too low to get another genotype. It is possible that this is related to assay variability, but given this is not blipping (between undetectable and low detectable), it is probably real. I don't think you need to switch all your meds. It may be useful to add an additional agent at this point to drive the viral load down to undetectable.

Previous
Autoimmune drugs
Next
thank you dr

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.