Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

First hiv viral load test
May 3, 2008

Hi doctor. I just found out I was hiv positive. I recently had my first cd4 count and viral load test done. My cd4 count was 706 and my viral load was 106,000. My doctor told me the viral load was a little high, but that my cd4 was good and I probably shouldn't worry. I was vaccinated for hep A 10 days before I had my counts done, and I took the antinflammatory ibuprofen two times a day for tendinitis of the knee during the week I was tested. I investigated and found out that overuse of antinflammatories (Nsaids) can aggravate many health conditions, which I didn't realize before. Do you think the vaccination along with the overuse of antinflamatories could aggravate the Hiv infection and caused a spike in viral load? Do you think I should stop using them?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is possible that the vaccine caused a transient bump in viral load. A repeat test will solve that riddle. Unlikely to be due to ibuprofen use, and it's OK to use it, but not over use it (more so because of GI side effects).

Previous
HIV and boils
Next
cd4 count of 250

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.